Monday, October 7, 2013

Ridden: Suzuki GSX-R 750 2010

When I collected the GSX-R 750 from Suzuki I promised I wouldn’t rack up too much mileage on this brand new model, however I must admit it has been extremely hard for me to keep my grubby hands off of this superb bike.
I climbed aboard the 750, engaged the clutch, kicked up the stand, flicked on the ignition switch and the excellent instrument display fired up in an array of colours. I hit the start button and the 4 cylinder 16 valve 750cc motor hummed into life.

Suzuki GSX-R750 Lean Angle
As I let the motor warm, I engaged mode C from the thumb operated mode switch on my right and proceeded into the streets of the city, where I soon decided that mode C had to be replaced with mode B. This changes the fuel mapping and gives you more power.
As the astonishingly smooth and refined motor climbed past 6000 RPM I decided that mode B should be replaced with mode A, obviously further changing the fuel mapping giving you 110KW’s of power! All of a sudden, what seemed like a civilized sports commuter erupted into a screaming racer and propelled me forth into oblivion leaving everything behind me in 1956.

Suzuki GSX-R750 Lean Angle
What was once a smooth and quiet exhaust turned into a howling demon as the speed climbed dramatically. In fact the speed increased with the vigor and determination of a 50. Cal bullet. I soon found myself many many Kilometers from home. I tried to pry my hands off the handlebars but a primeval instinct took over. Eventually I had to engage mode C to save petrol and make it home before hurricane ‘face ripper’ arrived.
Once I arrived home in the pouring rain (again), I phoned an old mate of mine who used to make fake ID’s when I was in school, and asked him if he could get me some fake passports as I planned to escape to another country with my new found love. However after that planned failed I came to the realization that I would have to buy a GSX-R 750 myself.

Suzuki GSX-R750 Lean Angle
This superbly balanced bike incorporates the best of both worlds. 600 sport bikes handle well and are manageable whereas the bone crunching power of 1000’s makes life scary. With the 750 you are able to have the poise and balance of a 600 with almost the full fat power from the litre class. This is the ultimate track weapon, a refined smooth, poised and elegant race machine possessing the power to shift you into the next galaxy.
I enjoyed experiencing the various mode settings for different riding styles and I love the instrument cluster which shows which gear is engaged. Something which I find is very necessary. The GSX-R 750 also features titanium valves and varied fuel injection compared to the K6 which allows for meaty mid range power. However below 6000rpm this Gixxer is very tame.
Ride characteristics have changed slightly from the K6 as there is more flex in the chassis, the wheels are slightly lighter, decreasing unsprung weight, the wheelbase is 5mm shorter and the overall suspension setup is on the soft side, but do not be mistaken, this bike handles flawlessly and provides the rider with much feel. My only criticism is that the foot pegs are placed slightly high up for riders with longer legs, however I am 196cm’s tall so it might just be me.
Suzuki GSX-R750 Crank Motoring
This very smooth and well engineered bike comes in fantastic colour schemes and it is very easy to see why it is one of the best sport bikes on the market. If I had the cash I would certainly have one. Even though hurricane face ripper rears its ugly head every time I put my leathers on.

I would like to say thank you to Suzuki S.A. for this opportunity to ride this fantastic bike.
The price of the new GSX-R 750 is R118 000. Worth every penny!

Here are the features and specifications:

Engine Features:
32 bit ECM features 1024 kilobytes of ROM for maximum engine performance working in conjuction with the new S-DMS engine management system
Aluminum clutch cover and oil pan feature internal ribs for increased rigidity and reduced engine noise
Compact 4-stroke, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine designed for optimum combustion efficiency and maximum power delivery
Crankshaft and transmission shafts are positioned to create a compact engine design and the engine itself is rotated slightly forward in the chassis allowing for straighter and shorter intake and exhaust ports
Crankshaft features forged steel construction and a secondary balancer shaft for reduced vibration at high rpm.
Cylinder head with narrow valve angles creating a compact combustion chamber design, 12.5:1 compression ratio, large intake and exhaust ports for optimum intake and exhaust efficiency and new Iridium spark plugs
Electronic fuel injection system features Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) system – with dual fuel injectors per cylinder and new compact 8 hole, fine spray injectors for improved fuel atomization.
High capacity large trapezoidal-shaped radiator provide efficient engine cooling – includes compact cooling fan assembly designed for improved air flow
High volume Suzuki Advanced Exhaust System (SAES) with an innovative under engine chamber leading to a large volume muffler with a distinctly shaped triangular silencer
Hydraulic cam chain tensioner automatically adjusts while reducing noise and mechanical losses.
Ignition coil outer diameter is smaller for reduced weight and the starter motor uses new rare earth magnets for a compact lightweight design
Lightweight forged aluminum alloy pistons with short skirts, cut away sides and an anti-friction surface finish along with shotpeened chrome-moly steel connecting rods for improved strength
Lightweight titanium valves with steel alloy springs and aluminum spring retainers operated by thin-wall hollow camshafts to reduce weight and inertia
S-DMS engine management system allows the rider to choose from three engine settings to match riding conditions with a handlebar mounted switch
SRAD ( Suzuki Ram Air Direct) force feeds cool, pressurized air into the airbox at highway speeds, improving engine efficiency and throttle response
Suzuki Idle Speed Control (ISC) system for improved cold starting, consistent idle quality and reduced emissions
Under deceleration the back torque limiting clutch reduces pressure on the clutch plates for smoother downshifting and corner entry

Make ModelSuzuki GSX-R 750
Year2010
EngineLiquid cooled four stroke, transverse four cylinder, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder.
Capacity749
Bore x Stroke70 x 48.7 mm
Compression Ratio12.5;1
InductionFuel Injection 42mm
Ignition  /  StartingDigital transistorized  /  electric
Max Power148 hp 110.3 KW @ 13200 rpm
Max Torque86.3 lb-ft 8.8 kg-m @ 11200 rpm
Transmission  /  Drive6 Speed  /  chain
FrameTwin-spar aluminum alloy
Front SuspensionInverted telescopic, coil spring, spring pre-load fully adjustable, rebound and compression damping force fully adjustable
Rear SuspensionLink type, oil damped, coil spring, spring pre-load fully adjustable, rebound and compression damping force fully adjustable
Front Brakes2x 320mm disc 4 piston calipers
Rear BrakesSingle 220mm disc 1 piston caliper
Front Tyre120/70 ZR17
Rear Tyre180/55 ZR17
Seat Height810 mm
Dry-Weight  /  Wet Weight163 kg  /  198 kg
Fuel Capacity17 Litres


No comments:

Post a Comment